Monday 17 November 2008

Exploring Mozart with friends

I spent this weekend playing chamber music with friends as part of “Tutti Cambristi 2008” – what a wonderful experience. I played the violin all weekend, learnt lots and had a lot of fun with people whose company I enjoy. Perfect!

The weekend was organised by the chamber music association I Cambristi and held at the Brussels conservatory. It's basically an opportunity for chamber groups, be they trios, nonets or anything in between, to study a work with a coach and then have the opportunity to perform it.

We formed a string quintet (2 violins, 2 violas and cello) and chose to play Mozart’s string quintet in G minor K516. Our coach was fantastic, suggesting ways to achieve a different sound, commenting on the overall balance between the instruments and generally acting as an inspiring outside observer/listener.

Unfortunately other commitments mean we won’t be able to perform a movement at next Sunday’s mini-concert. Whether we perform the quintet at one of the I Cambristi’s regular soirées remains to be seen. If you're interested in finding out more about I Cambristi, do visit the website and/or come along to the Christmas musical get-together on December 11.

For those who want to hear what the Mozart quintet sounds like, here's the Salomon Quartet (plus extra viola of course) playing the first movement:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ach, what a nice piece. I wish I could have heard you playing it, this way we would have been equal!!! anyway, if there is a concert were you'll perform it, I'll surely listen.