Monday 16 February 2009

Big films on a small scale

I finally discovered what claims to be the smallest cinema in Brussels: the Styx in the Ixelles area. Don’t ask me how it has taken me eight years of living in Belgium to make it there!

I felt like I was going back in time as everything about the cinema is on a smaller scale than we’re generally used to these days, including the entrance price at just 5 euros.

It seems to operate in a slightly haphazard and laid-back way, but quaintly so. For example, the cash desk, squeezed into the corner of the entrance area, was only staffed a few minutes before the film started. But then again, there weren’t exactly hordes of people to deal with. My friend and I were the only ones waiting to watch the 9pm showing of The Changeling, and merely two film-goers came out of the early evening film.

The room would have seated about 40 people, but the only other person to turn up was the projectionist who gave us a little wave as he set the reels in motion and bade us goodnight as we left.

I was a little disappointed that the piano, randomly placed in the corner of the room, wasn't played. I suppose it’s there to accompany the occasional showing of a silent film, but it wouldn’t have been out of place to have struck up a few chords before the film started!

The Styx, which is partnered with Actor’s Studio in the city centre, has just two screens, curiously numbered 2 and 3. It tends to show both arthouse films and more mainstream movies that have stopped running in the larger cinemas.

If you want to see what’s on at the moment, click on www.styx.cinenews.be. And to find the cinema, the address is 72 Rue de l'Arbre Benit, a stone’s throw from Place Boniface and Avenue Louise.

3 comments:

Zoë said...

I love tiny film theaters. There was one in the town I went to University. They even had large cushions you could use for seating instead of the 12 or so chairs inside. "Chocolat" was the first movie I saw there. What a memorable experience. I'll check out Styx, and let you know. Thanks!

Anna Jenkinson said...

Going to the Styx was almost like I was watching the film at home with a friend, just with a massive screen rather than my little tv. Cushions would have been a nice added touch though!

Unknown said...

You should check out the Screen Room in Nottingham then. It claims to be the world's smallest cinema. And then visit me at the same time :)